Trail : home : School History
In 1938, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Nelson. A bus was hired to take the children to see them.
Evacuees from Bradford arrived in Newchurch and school numbers swelled.
In August 1945, the end of the war in Asia saw the children taken to Blackpool to celebrate. Some had never seen the sea before.
School dinners were now cooked and served from the school kitchen.
Funds were raised to buy the school a radio.
In 1949, the first Rushbearing Queen was crowned.
1954 saw the acquisition of a film projector and a record player in 1956.
1963 was the time of a severe winter across the country. In January of that year, roads around the school were blocked with snow for five days. The school water supply froze and emergency water supplies were brought in from a tap higher up the hill. However, in February the emergency water supply froze too! It was only in mid-March that the school had running water again! Unfortunately, workmen who were digging up the school driveway, accidentally dug up the water mains! Once again there was a very intermittent supply of water!
1966 saw an outbreak of mumps with attendance dropping to 13. It was nearly a month before all 34 children were back in school.
In 1968 a television was installed in the school.
Acknowledgements to Edith Procter, former head teacher at St Mary's, who contributed so much to our school for many years.